Saturday, February 26, 2011

21st Century Skills: Is There Room For This?

The reading of several articles, from critics and supporters of P21(21st Century Skills)have given me much to ponder. Of course, I think most if not all educators instinctively search for ways to improve learning. It is my belief that somehow educators-especially teachers-have a compelling desire to reach their students. I use my education history as an example of what is possible.

I was nurtured with positivity, during my formative years in school. I can vividly remember how some teachers would get into your head to find out how you were thinking. They had a sincere desire to understand how to connect your learning experiences with their ways of teaching. Exposure was the key to broadening ones knowledge without the technology that is available today. I can remember to this day going to a planetarium so that we could make a connection to the universe. My mind was so occupied with the universe and the narrator that it enabled me to remember important elements about every planet.

As I look back on my early childhood education, I view it more as an interactive learning experience. Learning to research to gather information for papers and presentations. Every project I worked on was group related. The tools that were used for research were very effective. I am speaking of micro-film, publications, encyclopedias and various other materials all of which were in the local library. The only difference between then and now is the speed of retrieving this information.

I support the ideology of P21 because I think it is clear about cognitive learning and critical thinking. I do not think its a panacea that will resolve all the ills of education. Do I think there is room for P21? The answer is yes, and I don't think it has to be viewed as a major dissent from other paradigms.

It may be difficult to implement all aspects of P21 in this educational climate of major funding and budget cuts but it is not impossible.

1 comment:

  1. I actually was asking what you thought about the Sir Robinson video. I know the answer already but - did all your classmates go to college? If they did not, are they considered successful? I love Sir Robinson's message that we educate students from the shoulders up - preparing all to be college professors.

    ReplyDelete