Monday, February 28, 2011

21st Century Skills: Understanding Creativity

It is imperative that we learn to teach. Education should not be poured into someones head. Teachers have to learn how to connect to the creativity of intelligent beings. Everyone has the capacity to learn something. I think contributions in education comes in various forms. As Sir Robinson stated in his lecture "Education is Dynamic". It is important for teachers to nurture creativity.

I use to be very interested in instruments, woodwinds to be specific. So, I started lessons in elementary school and I was bored by the time I reached secondary school. Everything had been so regimented up to that point and I was just tired of it. There was no room for creativity. I was not allowed to express my ideas relative to what I was doing. I was fed up and when I reached the tenth grade I gave up music.

There were other things that started to interest me such as mathematics and science. I got more support being involved in these disciplines. I felt a sense of freedom because I was quite good at it.

We have to be supportive and learn how to read various idiosyncrasies while implementing or teaching subject matter. It is important to understand intelligence, and that it has various forms. Not accepting the non-conventional can be dangerous because you may overlook brilliance and stifle creativity.

3 comments:

  1. i love your last paragraph. That hits the moan point, I believe, Sir Robinson is trying to make. Allowing students to operate and learn outside th "box" is what "creativity" is about - not necessarily the arts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What instrument did you play? I played clarinet in High School. I know your story too well have to play what the teacher wants you to play and how they want you to play it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I played the viola in the third grade - I only played for one year though. I remember not wanting to play anymore because I didnt like the songs we were learning. I am noticing a trend here...

    ReplyDelete